Learning Objectives and Outcomes
- Research and compare Internet and email use policies enforced by other organizations.
- Create an Internet and email use policy for an organization.
You are a networking intern at Richman Investments. An employee of the company used employer-owned equipment to access the Internet and check his personal web-based email account. He followed a link in a spam email, downloaded games to his hard disk, and inadvertently infected the computer with malware, which spread to the network server.
The security officer at Richman has asked you to research and to define “the acceptable use of Richman assets regarding Internet and email access,” including the actions that are prohibited. The employees must be restricted from using the Internet at work for personal use, other than to occasionally check web-based personal email accounts. Personal downloads must be strictly prohibited. Your definition will become part of the overall Richman security policy.
For this assignment:
- Research Internet use policies on the Internet. Find the actual policies of real companies.
- Compare the portions that address Internet and email access of at least three different companies.
- Create an Internet and email use policy for Richman Investments that defines acceptable and unacceptable use of Internet and email access in the workplace.